Do you know 213 million people in India are suffering from migraine, while 60% of these cases were reported by women? Although there is no permanent treatment for migraines but balanced lifestyle and ayurvedic treatment help to keep the migraine under control. Migraine treatment in Ayurveda uses herbal remedies to cure migraine.
What is Migraine?
Migraine Headache is a neurological condition. It occurs due to abnormal brain activity that affects the nerve adversely and causes severe pain in the forehead, the side of the head, or around the eyes.
Migraine treatment in Ayurveda is stated as Ardhavabedhaka which means intense one-sided pain and is associated with the symptoms like nausea, vomiting, and severe headache.
Triggers that Cause Migraine:
As per Ayurveda, there are three doshas in the human body, Vata, Kapha, and pitta, which help humans live a healthy life but when these doshas are out of balance then migraine happens.
Migraine can be triggered by the following factors:-
- Emotional Trigger: Emotional trigger is caused by stress, anxiety, shock, depression, tension, and excitement. During stress, certain chemicals are released to fight the situation and the release of these chemicals brings a migraine. Other emotions like anxiety, nervousness, excitement, and worry increase muscle tension and causes a severe migraine headache.
- Physical Triggers: Physical triggers are caused by tiredness, hectic work hour, poor sleep, bad body posture, and low blood sugar. These conditions affect the human body and lead to severe migraine headaches.
- Diet Triggers: Diet Trigger is caused by irregular meals, excess caffeine intake, alcohol, and dehydration. Certain foods and beverages such as packed food, alcoholic beverages, and chocolate and citrus fruit cause migraine.
- Medication Triggers: Medication triggers are caused by consuming sleeping pills and painkillers daily. If you use painkillers and sleeping pills daily, it can cause a severe headache and migraine.
5. Environmental Triggers: Bright lights, sunlight, flickering screens like computer or TV screens and loud noises lead to migraine headaches.
Migraine- Risk Factors:-
Well, it is difficult to say who may get a migraine but certain factors help you to understand who has the chance to have a migraine headache.
1. Genetics: It’s a genetic disease that means if someone in your family has a migraine headache then you are more likely to have this migraine headache too.
2. Gender: It is stated that migraine headaches happen to women more than men due to hormonal imbalances.
3. Age: There is no certain age defined for migraine headaches but it is noticed that the first migraine attack happens when you are in your teenage phase.
4. Stress: If you are a person who takes lots of stress then you might suffer from migraine headaches.
But apart from this, we should be thankful to our ancient ayurvedic for providing migraine treatment in Ayurveda that has no side effects.
Migraine Treatment in Ayurveda:-
Some Ayurvedic Medicines that help to cure Migraine are:-
1. Panchakarma Therapy: Panchakarma therapy was described almost 5000 years ago in Ayurveda. This therapy is used to detoxify and purify the body. It is based on the concept that illness is caused by the build-up of toxins in the body.
Panchakarma Therapy Consists of Five Cleansing aspects:-
- Yoga: Yoga is an ancient technique used for migraine treatment in Ayurveda that helps to cure migraine headaches. It is a combination of posture and breathing techniques with zero side- effects. Here are some yoga asanas that will help you to fight the migraine headache attack.
- Hastapadasana (Standing Forward Bend)
- Setu Bandhasana (Bridge Pose)
- Shishuasana (Child Pose)
- Marjariasana (Cat Stretch)
- Paschimottanasana (Two-legged Forward Bend)
- Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Facing Dog Pose)
- Padmasana (Lotus Pose)
- Shavasana (Corpse Pose)
Practicing yoga daily helps to get relief from migraine pain.
- Ayurvedic Herbs: The best ayurvedic herbs for migraine include Bala, kumari, Mallika, Amalaki, saliva, yastimadhu, and hareetaki. These when mixed well give an amazing result.
- Relaxation Technique: The relaxation technique is used to combine your mind or body with your inner soul and thus it provides inner peace which ultimately helps to reduce stress or tension.
Some relaxation technique that helps to reduce stress level is as follows:
- Deep Breathing
- Mental Imagery
Some Home Remedies for Migraine Treatment in Ayurveda:-
1. Saffron & Ghee: Applying a few drops of saffron and ghee paste in both of your nostrils will give you an amazing result and reduce migraine headache pain.
2. Ginger: Drinking ginger tea can reduce severe migraine pain as it has anti-inflammatory properties.
3. Brahmi: Putting a few drops of Brahmi and ghee in your nostrils helps to cut down stress levels and provide you with a better lifestyle.
4. Rock Salt: Replace your normal salt with rock salt and you can see an amazing result for sure.
5. Chandan or Sandalwood: As Chandan or sandalwood is known for its cooling properties it helps to heal severe headache pain. Applying sandalwood paste on the forehead can reduce stress levels.
The Bottom Line:
Ayurveda has lots of benefits but before starting any treatment, make sure you have proper knowledge about it and you should concern first with the doctor before starting any treatment.